Flag Care and Folding Tips
Brighten up your Star Spangled Banner
Flag Day is celebrated on June 14, when Old Glory flies high all across the country. As always, Dependable Cleaners will clean your U.S. flag, free of charge! If you prefer to care for your flag at home, read on for proper cleaning, storage and display tips.
- Always fly or hang the flag with the union (the stars) in the upper left corner. A flag on a flagstaff or flagpole should be able to fly free in the breeze and should only be attached to the flagstaff or halyard on the left edge of the fabric.
- When hanging vertically, the union should be in the upper left corner. The flag should have a long-enough pole so it doesn’t touch the ground. Do not fly the flag upside down. That is a distress signal.
- When your U.S. flag becomes torn and frayed, don’t throw it away. Your local Office of Veterans Services provides an official, legal way to dispose of them.
- Even though a flag might be an all-weather flag, it is advised that you take it down in particularly rough weather. We also suggest taking down the pole in high winds, as well. Freezing rain can make a flag look like a solid board and bring the pole down.
- Many flags sold today can be machine-washed. Nylon flags should be washed and rinsed in cold-water cycles with regular laundry detergent. Dry on low for just five minutes, then let it dry flat. Or just bring it to us and as always we’ll clean it, free of charge.
Properly Folding Your Flag
The preferred way of folding the flag is on the triangle. We’ve provided step-by-step instructions below:
- Hold the flag at waist level with one person at each end of the flag. Be sure the flag doesn’t touch the ground.
- Fold the flag lengthwise in half.
- Refold in half, lengthwise.
- Make a triangular fold by bringing the striped corner of the folded edge up to meet the flag’s open edge.
- Fold the triangle toward the blue field and continue folding a triangle from edge to edge.
- When properly folded, the flag will end up a triangle with stars on each side.
Remember it is not necessary to fold the flag this way. Whatever way you fold it, be sure to store the flag someplace clean and dry.